blue cape

blue cape

Friday, September 5, 2008

A note from Mike and Brittani at Georgetown University

Corporal Michael Jernigan, United States Marine Corps, retired after being blinded by an Improvised Explosive Device in Iraq, is one of our school's Paws for Patriots recipients. Several day ago, Michael began his studies at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. The following is an email from Michael regarding his travels with guide dog Brittani. I believe his testimonial serves as powerful reminder of how important each of you is to Southeastern Guide Dogs.

I just wanted to share with you that I have now been at school for four days. In this four days Brittani and I have been trying to navigate a campus that is integrated into the community. Today Brittani and I got dropped off at our usual spot. It is about three to four blocks from where we need to be. It is not a straight shot either. We need to navigate the community of Georgetown to get into the campus and then find our buildings for class.

Brittani and I got dropped off today in our usual spot. Brittani started to walk without me giving her any commands. She took me right to the crosswalk where we need to cross. I thought that I would give her a little rope and just follow her. I did not need to be anywhere in a hurry.

Brittani and I crossed the street and she took over. She navigated the complicated route and took me right to the steps of the building that I needed to go to. I entered the building and she walked up the stairs and right to the elevator. When we got off at the third floor she then walked down the hall and stopped at the door of our class.

I was amazed. In four days Brittani has already memorized our routine and knows where we need to go and when. This has made my life less stressful. Less stress is exactly what I need as I am starting one of the most difficult challanges this year.

Thank you for Brittani. She has truly made a difference in my life. Not only does she keep me safe but she knows how to save my sanity as well.

Semper Fidelis
Mike and Brittani

5 comments:

majorshouse said...

His experience is what makes working a really well trained guide dog so much fun. I have had similar experiences lately where I have told Major to find something and he just shone.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful testimony from Mike. This is what we are all about at SEGDI. To get feedback like this from a graduate is very fulfilling.

Anonymous said...

I have seen this same thing happen with a student at USF. It's difficult enough for those of us who are sighted to find our way around a campus. Stories like this help us continue to do the important job that we do. I love being a Puppy Raiser and every dog is fantastic. From Breeding to Graduation, our Dogs are TOPS!!!

Val said...

We visited with Mike and Brittani a couple weeks ago. We always look forward and enjoy hearing about their adventures! Mike's testimony only confirms why we ALL do what we do!
Val & Joe--Brittani's Puppy-Raisers

J.B. Gaskins said...

Mike...

I hope you remember me...I stopped you and your family outside Durango's on 4th St. a couple years back. I work with Gene Young and am also a Major in the US Army Reserves. I hope that jogs your memory...

I just want you to know how proud we all are of you for what you have already accomplished and to see your drive to continue to improve. You my friend are an inspiration.

We have a regular donor who works with SE Guide Dogs. He always comes in with his 4 legged students and now when he comes in it will remind me of you and Brittani.

These folks take great pride in the service that they provide the visually impared, as you do being a Marine!

Keep up the good work my friend!

HOORAH!

J.B. Gaskins
Vice President
Florida Blood Services