Caesar's Joy waits at a curb. Somehow, I managed to get a traffic-free moment.
Gilly works a revolving door.
Amsie and Katie wait for the elevator.The last part of the week was blindfold walks. It's exactly what it sounds like. The trainers put on blindfolds and work the dogs. We always have another trainer spotting us, just in case (no one wants to break an ankle right before class. Or any other time, for that matter). If there is a final exam for guide dogs, this is probably it. Because, as much as we try not to, as a sighted person, it difficult not to "cue" the dog: subconsciously slowing down at curbs or leaning out of the way of obstacles. Once you are under blindfold, it's totally and completely up to the dog to keep you safe. And sometimes, dogs just fold under that pressure.
Also, your body language changes when you are blindfolded. Personally, I have a hard time keeping my balance when I'm blindfolded, so I tend to go reeling down the sidewalk like a drunken sailor. Also, my whole demeanor becomes more tentative. Naturally, the dog picks up on this immediately and it adds stress. I've seen dogs go a few yards with their blindfolded trainer and actually turn and look up at them as if to confirm it is the same person. This mimics what the dogs go through when they first start working with new students. Even though the students are comfortable travelling without vision, they can be very nervous and unsure about handling the dog. They have to learn how to follow the dog. All of this puts stress on the dog and a blindfold walk shows us how the dog will handle that stress.
So. One more week before class. Still lots to do. Stay tuned.
Unrelated Side Note: We love it when you comment on these posts, but please remember to identify yourself. It is our policy not to post anonymous comments. Thanks!
11 comments:
Great post! I always love seeing dogs I know and puppy camped!
Laura
Garland, TX
I remember my first guide dog and how working under a blindfold was one of the best things I ever did considering I am a low partial. It taught me to totally trust my dog and believe me, it was much tougher than using what little bit fo sight and I had more usable sight then than I do now and I know how good it made me feel to know that i could totally trust my dog.
Lin and Major
THIS IS GREAT. I LOVE BEING ABLE TO SEE HOW THE DOGS GO THROUGH TRAINING. AND SEE HOW MUCH THEY GROW AT THE SAME TIME. GREAT PICTURES. KEEP UP THE AWSOME WORK.
FRAN.
I like these posts, it gives us puppy raisers a much needed insight into the type and intensity of training our IFT dogs go through. Keep them coming
Darlene
St Pete
Donna said
Great pictures and stories. I love seeing what the dogs do with the class and the Trainers. It certainly helps us realize how much these dogs do. Thanks for keeping us "Tuned In", Karen.
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE MORE PICTURES. THE DOGS ALL LOOK GREAT. NICE WORK KAREN. THUMBS UP.
Excellant post Karen
I know our puppy raisers always like to see and hear about how the puppies are trained once they are returned to the school. Looks like Gilly performed well in his revolving door training. Hope he contines to trian well and will one day soon make me a proud puppy raiser. Keep up your excellant work, and keep these kind of posts coming.
Carey
Richardson, TX.
Love the pictures! It is good to hear about what the dogs go through once they go back for training.
Thank you, Karen! It is enlightening and comforting to visulize details of our IFT dog having a good time at college. we didn't get such wonderful feedback when our children were in college. I can't find words to tell you how much we appreciate it.
Three long months after taking Katie IFT, it is such a thrill to see her in harness in the blog! Thank you, Karen, for providing us these glimpses of the dogs we love so much. We are so grateful to you for bringing out their potential.
I've been following Katie since Jan had her from a pup. It's great to see her again!
Post a Comment