blue cape

blue cape

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Driven to Distraction, Part 2

When it comes to distractions, we’ve established that we need to teach the dog early in life how to control his behavior. Now, how do we accomplish that?

Learn this mantra: Distance is my friend. Say it early, say it often. The farther away a dog is from his distraction, the easier it is for him to control himself, pay attention and focus. For a puppy with a dog distraction, it will be much, much easier for him to maintain a sit stay 50 yards away from another dog than to attempt it at a range of 10 yards.

Training a dog against distractions boils down to this: You’ve got to find the distance from the distraction at which the pup can control himself and behave within the parameters you have set for him.

The first thing you need to do when faced with a distraction is to decide what behavior you want the dog to compy with. You should start with the widest acceptable parameter, which is “Dog, you can stand, sit or lay down, but you must do this on a LOOSE LEAD.” That means no lunging, no pulling, and no restraining by the handler. The collar has to be loose. Period. If the collar is tight and the leash is taut, the handler is doing all the work. The dog is merely being restrained and doesn’t have to think one bit about what he is doing. He is free to focus on going nuts over the distraction. But a dog that is maintaining a loose collar and leash has to think and focus and control himself. He may be quivering and coiled like a wound spring ready to jump after his distraction but he CHOOSES not to. And that is the beginning of learning self control.

Now you need to find the physical distance from the distraction at which the dog can control himself and stay within the behavior parameter. You want to find the distance at which he is fully aware of the distraction, but under control. Moving so far away that the distraction becomes a non-issue doesn’t accomplish anything either. So how do you find this distance? If you correct the dog more than 3-4 times with increasing intensity and you do not get a change of behavior, then you are too close. Move back 10 feet or so and try again. No change in behavior after corrections? Still too close, back up another 10 feet and try again until the dog can comply. For pups with strong distractions, you may find yourself really faaar awaaaaaaayyyy. Not to worry. The most important thing is that the dog can control himself while still aware of the distraction.

Now that the dog is under control with the widest parameter, start tightening the behavior requirements. Now the dog must hold a sit or a down. Remember: loose collar and leash. It is only at this point that you can try to move closer. Move up 10 feet and try a sit. Successful? Great, move up another 10 feet. Disaster? Tried and failed 3 times? Then move back 5 feet and try again.

So I can already hear some of you despairing: “My dog has a terrible dog distraction, especially at puppy meetings. If we do it your way, we’ll never get close enough to participate in the meeting.” Well, you’re probably right.

And now it’s time for your second mantra: Distraction training cannot be rushed. If you want this to be successful in the shortest time possible, it’s important to do this technique each and every time you are faced with the dog’s distraction. If you expect good behavior sometimes and then give in and let the dog pull you to a distraction the next time, several things happen. One, it’s extremely unfair to the dog to let him get away with it one time and then correct him the next. Two, it’s extremely confusing to the dog (what the heck does she want? Make up your mind) and three, you have actually reinforced the behavior you are trying to get rid of.

Here’s one way to make your life easier. Start doing this as soon as you notice the pup is developing a distraction. And please note the difference between a young puppy exploring his world and becoming well-socialized and a distraction that’s becoming a problem. All pups want to meet and greet other dogs, sniff a cat, watch the sqirrel run up a tree. That’s fine. When an older pup starts focusing on something with a laser intensity, when you have a difficult time refocusing him – that’s when you have a problem developing.

Of course, this wouldn’t be complete without a caveat. The technique I’ve described works best when you have control over your training environment. When you can maintain a distance to the distraction, because the distraction isn’t moving. Real life, however, can be a real pain in the rear for distraction training. Cats mosey over to investigate, civilian dogs pass you in the neighborhood, etc. The only advice I can offer you is to do your best as the situation demands. At the very least, try not to let the dog get rewarded by reaching the distraction. If this means restraining him is your only option as the clueless neighbor’s dog wanders by, then by all means, restrain him and then get him on a loose leash as soon as the other dog is far enough away. And, most importantly, practice distraction training at puppy meetings. Or make a “distraction” date with another dog in your group and practice with them.

I’m sure (and I hope) this has sparked some questions about distraction training. Email me karen.mersereau@guidedogs.org I will compile the questions and post the answers.

Oh yeah, and don’t forget to PRAISE when the dog is behaving correctly. You surely didn’t think I’d leave that out, now did you?

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Thanks for the distraction tips -- I think you should collect all these Blue Coat Journal articles and publish them as a great training guide...or have you already done that? I really find myself relating more to all of them as I get more experienced and wish that I had all this knowledge earlier!

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

I always love getting tips on how to deal with doggy distraction, thanks!

Toby's Trainer
SEGDI Raiser

Dianne K. said...

Have you ever considered making a training video of all the basics? For us "first timers" it would really be helpful.

majorshouse said...

I think that all of these tips would be a great additon to the puppy training manual and should be published.
Lin and Major

Unknown said...

Again, our thanks. Concur with Cathy (above) for publishing. Pearl

Patti Johnson said...

As I have a goldador guide dog, (we have been together 7 months) who loves other dogs, I am pleased to see this. Especially for a totally blind person a dog that does not get distracted is so essential. I have never worked with a golden retriever before, but his interest in other dogs and people are parts of his work ethic I am hearing is not uncommon for this type breed. so you pr's who have the goldadors, please take note and make this a very important part of your training/raising. Thanks for all you do.

CD McLean said...

I feel so much better about Bingo! He is so distracted and we have been feeling so bad at the meetings because he just goes nuts. We'll be the ones at the back, way far away, creeping forward, slowly. 8-)

Ashley Wright said...

This is great Karen. Distractions can be difficult and your advice is always so easy to grasp. I definately agree that all the journal entries would make a great addition to the training manual. I've found myself going back through them to find helpful info. that I didn't necessarily think I needed at the time, but later when the situation arose I was left wondering, "Now what did she say to do?" Thanks again, Karen!