blue cape

blue cape

Monday, July 27, 2009

Mom, I'm Bored

Here is something I see frequently on evals of older dogs. "It's time for EveryDog to come IFT. He's getting bored."

Well. We can't have bored dogs, now can we? Here are some activities you can do with your almost-ready-for-IFT dog.

- Movable Feast. Try feeding your dog in different locations. Start with different places in your kitchen and then your house, then move to your garage or driveway or deck. Get the dog used to eating wherever his bowl is placed. Now, I can hear you already. "My dog doesn't care! He'll wolf it down no matter what!" Yeah, the Labs and Goldadors probably won't have a problem with this. But if you have an exotic (Vizsla, Collie or Aussie), then I would definitely try this exercise.

- By the time your dog is nearing IFT, you've probably put his collar and jacket on a thousand times. But can you do it with your eyes closed? I love this exercise. It really points up how important it is for the dog to sit still while he "gets dressed." It also gets the dog used to being clomped in the head with buckles and straps.

- Blindfolded obedience. Pretty self-explanatory. Be sure to do a recall exercise. Does the dog come and sit close enough that you can easily reach him? On sit or down stays, can you tell whether he is holding the stay? How about that return to heel?

- Eat your dinner on the floor. Yeah, really. Grab your plate and sit on the floor. Will your dog maintain a down stay near you? Without commando crawling or drooling so much that you both float away? Be sure to have his training collar on and leash attached so you can give any needed corrections. Guide dogs should have minimal interest in people food and the thought that anything that goes into your mouth might instead make its way into his mouth should be strongly discouraged.

These are just a few ideas to stave off pre-IFT boredom. Now, let's hear your ideas!

6 comments:

majorshouse said...

Those are really great suggestions because we as handlers need obedient dogs and they will get al sorts of handling from those of us who cannot see, and the idea of eating while sitting on the floor is a great exercise too.
Lin and Major

Ruth said...

Great ideas. You might get someone to watch and see if you are using body cues and try to eliminate those. Our dogs are smart and read us better than a book!!!

Anonymous said...

Donna Said

I love all of your suggestions and will put them to good use at my next meeting. I have had my Group put on the Pup's coat while blindfolded but the other ideas are great. Thanks for the new ideas.

Kel's mom said...

Got an extra-smart pooch? Try teaching him/her the names of his/her toys.

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Do obedience at different voice volumes. Get the dog used to possibly whispered commands. I love the other suggestions. I would have never thought of a pre-IFT dog getting bored.