
My name is Andrea Early and I'm the development coordinator at Southeastern Guide Dogs. One of the things I love most about my job is that I get to write stories about how much our dogs and training programs--and you as our puppy raisers--help change people's lives.
Occasionally, I will be sharing these stories with you, like this one about recent graduate Walter Daniel and his guide Duchess (pictured left). Andrea and Mark Heegle raised Duchess in Austin, Texas; she is the third puppy they have raised for Southeastern Guide Dogs.
Here is the story of Walter and Duchess:
A Terrific Teacher and a Great Teacher's Aide
Walter Daniel recently retired after 30 years of teaching 3rd and 5th graders in some of Alabama’s best schools, but he still works daily as a math and reading tutor at Minor Elementary School near his home in Birmingham.
Walter was born with limited vision, but that didn't stop him for pursuing his dream of becoming a teacher. “I went through the Birmingham public schools with assistance from some great teachers,” he says. “That’s why I wanted to be one.”
Walter arrived at our campus on July 6. A day later, he met his first-ever guide dog, Duchess. “The trainers took into account that I work with children,” says Walter. “They matched me with a kind, petite, and gentle dog.”
Walter trained with Duchess at our school until July 26. Now he is preparing to return to Minor Elementary with his new four-pawed assistant.
“Life with Duchess has exceeded my expectations,” he says. “She has boosted my trust in myself - and she’ll make a great teacher’s aide!”
1 comment:
What a great story and all I ahve to say is God bless him for being a teacher. Good teachers are so hard to find these days and like my wife, teaching is a true calling.
Lin and Major
Post a Comment