There are many of you in PuppyLand who I have not yet had the opportunity to meet. My name is Jennifer Boyle and I have the wonderful responsibility of acting as Titus Herman's Executive Assistant here at Southeastern Guide Dogs. I began in March of this year and have been plugging away at an array of different projects.
As I am sure most people do, I use my commuting time in the morning to help me plan my morning and develop new ideas. During a recent early morning brainstorming session, it occured to me how little I understood the process that a student goes through during their 26 days with us here on our beautiful campus. As a result of this realization, I had the wonderful opportunity to shadow Robert Gladstone - a recent graduate of Southeastern Guide Dogs. The article below was written by our Development Coordinator, Andrea Early. In the future, Robert (and his guide "Simba") will be featured in a photo-timeline designed to bring some insight into the process our Southeastern Guide Dog students become apart of during their stay with us.
Enjoy!
-----
A SAVVY NEW YORKER FINDS COMPANIONSHIP AND COMFORT
Though raised as a savvy New Yorker, 58-year-old Robert Gladstone is a softie when it comes to his new guide dog Simba. “I give him more kisses than I give my girlfriend,” says Gladstone, a retired restaurateur and realtor. He has retinitis pigmentosa, a progressive condition that recently limited his vision and mobility. “I need to be able to get around,” he says. “It was either get a cane or a dog, and I love dogs.” So he applied to Southeastern Guide Dogs and arrived in June from his home in Boca Raton for four weeks of rigorous training with Simba.
After learning the rules and systems of guide dog use from our trainers and practicing together with his new guide on the school’s walking paths and in nearby cities like Tampa, Gladstone is eager to greet the world. “I’m looking forward to walking to a restaurant or the mall and feeling comfortable,” he says. “I now have companionship and eyes to guide me. I’ll feel confident with my girlfriend in one hand and Simba in the other.”
Though raised as a savvy New Yorker, 58-year-old Robert Gladstone is a softie when it comes to his new guide dog Simba. “I give him more kisses than I give my girlfriend,” says Gladstone, a retired restaurateur and realtor. He has retinitis pigmentosa, a progressive condition that recently limited his vision and mobility. “I need to be able to get around,” he says. “It was either get a cane or a dog, and I love dogs.” So he applied to Southeastern Guide Dogs and arrived in June from his home in Boca Raton for four weeks of rigorous training with Simba.
After learning the rules and systems of guide dog use from our trainers and practicing together with his new guide on the school’s walking paths and in nearby cities like Tampa, Gladstone is eager to greet the world. “I’m looking forward to walking to a restaurant or the mall and feeling comfortable,” he says. “I now have companionship and eyes to guide me. I’ll feel confident with my girlfriend in one hand and Simba in the other.”
3 comments:
As the proud puppy raiser of Simba, I am really looking forward to hear more of Robert and Simba's great adventures
Janet - Ocala
I think all of us out here in puppyland will really enjoy hearing more of this personal and wonderful experience! Thank you!
YOU go Robert it's great isn't it. I have Simba's brother Danny and he is great also. They both are great dogs and I can't wait for walkathon for both dogs to see each other again. That will be priceless.
Susan Sirois and Danny
Post a Comment